Working out consistently when life is extra busy can be a challenge. And I’ll be honest, I’m facing that challenge head on right now. Between my job, this blog and wedding planning it often feels like I am juggling three jobs at once. Now, don’t get me wrong–I wouldn’t have it any other way! Some recent weeks have been particularly challenging for getting my workouts in and trying to tone up for our wedding. Wedding planning aside, I know many people who face periods in their life when it feels like every day brings a different schedule and it is difficult to stick to a workout routine, much less achieve fitness goals. While I am by no means perfect at finding time for workouts all the time, I have found a few tricks that make it easier to stay on track with fitness. So, whether you’re in law school studying nonstop, juggling two kids under two or putting in overtime with your new job, here is my guide for finding time for workouts when life’s busy.
Guide to Finding Time for Workouts
- Keep your fitness goals realistic. This tip is all about finding a way to challenge yourself that fits your current lifestyle. For example, I currently make goals for the amount of time (180 minutes) I workout each week. This goal is easier for me to manage an accomplish than if I was focused on the number of workouts per week. I have the flexibility to six 30-minute workouts, two 90 minute workouts or anything in between.
- Schedule it. Every week has its own agenda and important matters. To set expectations for yourself, identify which day(s) are no-go’s for working out and schedule workouts in your calendar at the beginning of each week.
- Share it. Once you have set your fitness schedule, tell someone. Sharing your intention to workout, even if it’s during a casual elevator conversation, will make you much more likely to follow through on your word.
- Make the most of your Time. You can have a two-hour workout with light cardio, that isn’t effective or a 30-minute workout that has you wobbling out the door. The key is quality over quantity for your cardio and reps.
- EXTRA TIP: When it comes to weight training, 10 careful reps in 30 seconds that are focused on proper form are much more efficient than 30 sloppy reps done in 30 seconds. Try doing both, and just see how the feeling in your muscles change. If you are looking for an effective cardio workout, check out my HIIT treadmill workout.
- No execuses. There is no time to wait for the stars to align. The next time you want to delay your workout, as you wait to feel motivated or think, “oh, just one more Netflix episode,” STOP it! Accept that there is no perfect time for your workout, and workouts are not always perfect. But, a complete workout is always better than an incomplete one. I guess Nike was on to something with their slogan – Just do it!
“Success at anything will always come down to this: FOCUS & EFFORT and we control both.” – Dwayne Johnson
“You won’t always love the workout, but you will always love the RESULTS!”
UK fashion brand T.M.Lewin, who specializes in men’s dress shirts, has created an infographic of fitness tips and interesting facts to optimize your workout. I think these will be particularly helpful if you have a 9-5 job like me!
Hopefully you are now feeling more motivated and better equipped to stay focused on your fitness goals. I would love to hear more about how finding time for workouts works for you. Do you have new obstacles in your way when it comes to accomplishing your fitness goals? Do you do any of the same things I do to get your workouts in? Let’s discuss in the comments section!