There is no question natural oils are one of the latest beauty trends, but are they really worth the hype?! About a year ago, I did some research on expensive natural oils to moisturize your face and found that a much cheaper alternative exists. Drumroll please… it is almond oil! This was such a great find that I have to share with you all the almond oil benefits I have uncovered.
First, let’s take a quick look at the expensive natural oils I just mentioned. A mere 1.7 ounces of Josie Maran’s argan oil will set you back $48 and Tarte’s maracuja oil is even more expensive at $75 for 1.7 ounces. These brands claim their argan and maracuja oils do an amazing job moisturizing skin and conditioning hair. But in comparison, my research made it clear that almond oil has many more benefits and uses.
You can get 16 ounces of almond oil for $12. Now, let’s do the math and compare. If you got 16 ounces of Josie Maran’s argan oil, you’d pay $451. Eeek! So, almond oil is clearly a cheaper alternative to “top shelf” oils that you can get at Sephora or Ulta. Of course, I figured, “why not give this a try?”
Almond Oil Benefits
I have been using almond oil off and on for the past year, and it really does wonders. Here are my top eight favorite things about almond oil.
- Moisturization! From moisturizing your face to your feet, this stuff does wonders. I find it especially helpful in the winter. It doesn’t feel as thick as lotion and really helps when my cheeks are chapped from a cold winter’s windburn.
- Diminishes body bumps. I had pesky little bumps (keratosis pilaris) on my upper arms that would never go away, but since using almond oil as a moisturizer they have disappeared completely!
- Diminishes fine lines. I know there are so many anti-aging products out there, but I swear this helps!
- Makes your skin glow. This oil noticeably evened out my skin tone and reduced redness, making me feel much more confident when I forgo makeup.
- No break outs! Seriously.. need I say more?
- Diminishes dark eye circles. I noticed this after just a few applications.
- It’s a makeup remover, safe on eyes/eyelashes. This is an added plus when you travel!
- The price — It shouldn’t cost women an arm and a leg to pamper ourselves and keep our bodies looking and feeling healthy. Am I right?!
If you are thinking about trying almond oil, just keep in mind that I’m talking about sweet almond oil, not to be confused with bitter almond oil, which can be toxic (eek!).
Also, everyone’s skin is different. Some people find their skin reacts more positively to one natural oil compared to the others. Almond oil also has benefits for hair and nails. I’ve heard it can help with thinning hair and eyelash growth.
Just beware — if you give almond oil a try, it could be your new favorite thing!
Now I’d like to hear from you. Have you ever used almond oil on your skin? Do any of the almond oil benefits I shared surprise you? Share with me your thoughts in the comment section.
P.S. Here are my tips on how to keep skin moisturized during the winter.
See my disclaimer here.