Working out consistently when life is extra busy can be a challenge. And I’ll be honest, I’m facing that challenge head on right now. Between my job, this blog and wedding planning it often feels like I am juggling three jobs at once. Now, don’t get me wrong–I wouldn’t have it any other way! Some recent weeks have been particularly challenging for getting my workouts in and trying to tone up for our wedding. Wedding planning aside, I know many people who face periods in their life when it feels like every day brings a different schedule and it is difficult to stick to a workout routine, much less achieve fitness goals. While I am by no means perfect at finding time for workouts all the time, I have found a few tricks that make it easier to stay on track with fitness. So, whether you’re in law school studying nonstop, juggling two kids under two or putting in overtime with your new job, here is my guide for finding time for workouts when life’s busy.
Guide to Finding Time for Workouts
- Keep your fitness goals realistic. This tip is all about finding a way to challenge yourself that fits your current lifestyle. For example, I currently make goals for the amount of time (180 minutes) I workout each week. This goal is easier for me to manage an accomplish than if I was focused on the number of workouts per week. I have the flexibility to six 30-minute workouts, two 90 minute workouts or anything in between.
- Schedule it. Every week has its own agenda and important matters. To set expectations for yourself, identify which day(s) are no-go’s for working out and schedule workouts in your calendar at the beginning of each week.
- Share it. Once you have set your fitness schedule, tell someone. Sharing your intention to workout, even if it’s during a casual elevator conversation, will make you much more likely to follow through on your word.
- Make the most of your Time. You can have a two-hour workout with light cardio, that isn’t effective or a 30-minute workout that has you wobbling out the door. The key is quality over quantity for your cardio and reps.
- EXTRA TIP: When it comes to weight training, 10 careful reps in 30 seconds that are focused on proper form are much more efficient than 30 sloppy reps done in 30 seconds. Try doing both, and just see how the feeling in your muscles change. If you are looking for an effective cardio workout, check out my HIIT treadmill workout.
- No execuses. There is no time to wait for the stars to align. The next time you want to delay your workout, as you wait to feel motivated or think, “oh, just one more Netflix episode,” STOP it! Accept that there is no perfect time for your workout, and workouts are not always perfect. But, a complete workout is always better than an incomplete one. I guess Nike was on to something with their slogan – Just do it!
“Success at anything will always come down to this: FOCUS & EFFORT and we control both.” – Dwayne Johnson
Nike Flex Supreme Training Shoes | New Balance for J.Crew Leggings
“You won’t always love the workout, but you will always love the RESULTS!”
UK fashion brand T.M.Lewin, who specializes in men’s dress shirts, has created an infographic of fitness tips and interesting facts to optimize your workout. I think these will be particularly helpful if you have a 9-5 job like me!
Hopefully you are now feeling more motivated and better equipped to stay focused on your fitness goals. I would love to hear more about how finding time for workouts works for you. Do you have new obstacles in your way when it comes to accomplishing your fitness goals? Do you do any of the same things I do to get your workouts in? Let’s discuss in the comments section!
See my disclaimer here.
Hi friends! Valentine’s Day is coming in hot, and I am so excited to share with you a unique, personalized gift for the man in your life. It is the perfect, thoughtful gift, especially if your special someone is hard to shop for. So, what is it? It is an engraved wood watch from JORD! With perfect timing, JORD reached out to me to partner on this post. I have been wanting to get Will an engraved wood watch that will look nice with the suit he will wear on our upcoming wedding day. Even better? I have an awesome GIVEAWAY from JORD that will benefit everyone who enters it! But before we get to the giveaway details, let me give you the scoop on JORD’s engraved wood watches.
JORD’s wood watches are eco-friendly and their styles feature 13 different types of wood. JORD has a large selection of men’s and women’s wood watches. I love how many styles and color options there are to choose from. For Will, I knew the Frankie style with Zebrawood and Navy would suit him well with his work attire and the sharp blue suit he will wear when we get married.
Make it Personal: Give an Engraved Wood Watch
Personalizing your Valentine’s Day gift is a great way to add an extra element of thoughtfulness. JORD offers custom engraving options for the back of the watch or for the box. Will and I were both impressed with how well the engraving on his watch came out.
JORD’s wooden cases are so beautiful!
I love how the engraving turned out on the back of Will’s watch.
Like all JORD watches, Will’s watch arrived in a beautiful, well-made, unique wooden box that he will be able to store the watch in forever. JORD’s wood watches also come with two cloths for cleaning your watch and a natural finishing oil to keep the wood well conditioned over time.
I surprised Will with his watch last week, and he has thoroughly enjoyed wearing it so far. He has received several compliments already, and I know the engraved message on the back of his watch will be a happy reminder of our engagement and wedding day.
Now, I won’t keep you waiting any longer. Here is the …
Click above to enter the giveaway for a chance to receive a $100 Coupon Code from JORD. All other entrants receive a 10% off Coupon Code. The $100 and 10% off Coupon Codes will expire March 4th. The giveaway will close February 18th at 11:59pm.
Do you have an engraved wood watch from JORD or a similar personalized gift for Valentine’s Day? What JORD wood watch style is your favorite? Do you know what you are giving your significant other yet? Will you do anything special for Valentine’s Day? I would love to hear all your thoughts and personalized gift ideas in the comments section.
Hi friends! How are you? Lately, life has been busier than I would like it to be. All I can say is it is amazing how many little details of wedding planning require hours and hours of your attention; and I can’t wait to marry Will! I plan on sharing more details of what has been going on in my life lately, but today let’s focus on the holiday that is fast approaching – Valentine’s Day! Personally, my favorite thing to get on Valentine’s Day is a handwritten, thoughtful note from someone I love. In return, I like to give a unique card and gift. I recently came across some super sweet and punny Valentine’s Day cards. I haven’t been able to pick just one, so I thought I would share with you all my 14 favorites!
Sweet & Punny Valentine’s Day Cards
I Will Avo-Lays Love You Valentine’s Card
Skies Are Grey Valentine’s Card
All of Me Loves All of You Valentine’s Card
Significant Otter Valentine’s Day Card
Gin To My Tonic Valentine’s Card
I Love you To My Head Tomatoes Valentine’s Card
I Puggin Love You Card
Totally Smitten Valentine’s Card
I Love You More Than Cheese Valentine’s Card
Olive You Valentine’s Card
I Woof You Valentine’s Day Card
Coffee Love Valentine’s Card
Whale You Be Mine? Valentine’s Card
Pina To My Colada Valentine’s Card
It’s so hard to choose, but my favorites are the coffee lovers, the otters and the olive you cards. So cute! All of the cards I have shared are from Oliver Bonas, a UK-based company. They have a wide range of clothing, fun home decor, jewelry and accessories. Personally, I love their gift guides and cards the most!
In my opinion, a card that accurately reflects your relationship will always be well-received. Cards do not have to be super serious or sentimental. As long as it is coming from the right, place that’s all that matters.
What type of cards do you like to give and receive? Do you like to write handwritten notes like I do? Do you like punny Valentine’s Day cards?
I would love to know if you have any Valentine’s Day traditions with your sweetie and what your plans are. Let’s share it all in the comments section!
See my disclaimer here.