As a working mom with a toddler who does NOT know how to sit still, quick and easy meals are the name of my game these days. Especially during weekdays, it is so helpful to have a meal I can get together in less than 20 minutes, or better yet, only involves reheating! Crockpot recipes continue to come to my rescue, and this one I am sharing today is quickly becoming a fan-favorite for our family and the guests who have come over and devoured it. So, here’s my latest easy crockpot meal idea for y’all.
I call this my Creamy Pesto Chicken Crockpot dish. There are similar crockpot recipes out there, with several of the ingredients listed below. But, I have been tinkering with my recipe over the past couple months, and found an ingredient that takes this dish to the next level — sour cream! Without that magical ingredient the dish, while flavorful, can be a little too soupy. The sour cream really thickens up the sauce and holds all the ingredients together.
– olive oil
– sea salt
– 3 lbs. chicken breast
– 2 8oz jars of basil pesto
– ranch seasoning packet
– 16oz. sour cream
Easy Crockpot Meal Idea: Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Cube 3lbs. of raw chicken breast. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the crockpot dish and throw in the chicken. Sprinkle chicken with sea salt, to your liking.
- Sprinkle ranch seasoning packet and pour 16oz of basil pesto sauce over the chicken.
- Set the crockpot to medium heat and cook for 6 hours. Note: slow cooking works best, but you can do high heat for 4 hours if you are in a time crunch.
- If needed, break apart chicken cubes with a spatula.
- Stir in sour cream, and let it cook for another 30 minutes. More sour cream can be added to make the sauce thicker and creamier.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or with your favorite vegetables.
- Option: sprinkle dish with parmesan cheese.
We prefer to serve this dish over egg noodles, cooked al dente, with a side of steamed broccoli. I have also added sliced cherry tomatoes. There are plenty of options that would taste great. Using 3lbs. of chicken, this dish makes 8-12 servings, depending on how much pasta and extras you are eating with it.
For extra ease during the work week, I love making this dish on a Sunday and divvying it up for a couple meals and a few lunches. We’ve had a range of people with different taste preferences try it, and have yet to have anyone dislike this dish. So, hopefully if you try this dish, it’s as much of a crowd pleaser for you as it’s been for us!
Related: Crockpot Taco Chili Recipe
If you love crockpot recipes and have ones that are in your monthly rotation, I would love to hear what they are. Please share in the comments. And, if you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it.