As a working mom with a toddler who does NOT know how to sit still, quick and easy meals are the name of my game these days. Especially during weekdays, it is so helpful to have a meal I can get together in less than 20 minutes, or better yet, only involves reheating! Crockpot recipes continue to come to my rescue, and this one I am sharing today is quickly becoming a fan-favorite for our family and the guests who have come over and devoured it. So, here’s my latest easy crockpot meal idea for y’all.
I call this my Creamy Pesto Chicken Crockpot dish. There are similar crockpot recipes out there, with several of the ingredients listed below. But, I have been tinkering with my recipe over the past couple months, and found an ingredient that takes this dish to the next level — sour cream! Without that magical ingredient the dish, while flavorful, can be a little too soupy. The sour cream really thickens up the sauce and holds all the ingredients together.
– olive oil
– sea salt
– 3 lbs. chicken breast
– 2 8oz jars of basil pesto
– ranch seasoning packet
– 16oz. sour cream
Easy Crockpot Meal Idea: Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Cube 3lbs. of raw chicken breast. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the crockpot dish and throw in the chicken. Sprinkle chicken with sea salt, to your liking.
- Sprinkle ranch seasoning packet and pour 16oz of basil pesto sauce over the chicken.
- Set the crockpot to medium heat and cook for 6 hours. Note: slow cooking works best, but you can do high heat for 4 hours if you are in a time crunch.
- If needed, break apart chicken cubes with a spatula.
- Stir in sour cream, and let it cook for another 30 minutes. More sour cream can be added to make the sauce thicker and creamier.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or with your favorite vegetables.
- Option: sprinkle dish with parmesan cheese.
We prefer to serve this dish over egg noodles, cooked al dente, with a side of steamed broccoli. I have also added sliced cherry tomatoes. There are plenty of options that would taste great. Using 3lbs. of chicken, this dish makes 8-12 servings, depending on how much pasta and extras you are eating with it.
For extra ease during the work week, I love making this dish on a Sunday and divvying it up for a couple meals and a few lunches. We’ve had a range of people with different taste preferences try it, and have yet to have anyone dislike this dish. So, hopefully if you try this dish, it’s as much of a crowd pleaser for you as it’s been for us!
Related: Crockpot Taco Chili Recipe
If you love crockpot recipes and have ones that are in your monthly rotation, I would love to hear what they are. Please share in the comments. And, if you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it.
One thought on “Easy Meal Idea: Crockpot Creamy Pesto Chicken”
Thank you for sharing!