Today I am sharing one of my favorite recipes, and it is perfect for the holiday season. It is my favorite for a few reasons — it is my grandmother’s recipe, the crackers always put a smile on peoples’ faces, I get tons of compliments on how delicious (and addictive!) they are and they are easy to make.
These seasoned crackers also make a perfect gift for your neighbor, coworkers, your child’s teacher or even as a little personal touch to add to another gift. To eat, these are great with soup. But my favorite way to eat them is plain, and by the handful!
- 1 1/5 packages of Nabisco oyster crackers
- 3/4 C Wesson Vegetable Oil
- 1 packs of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
- 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
- 3/4 tsp. dill
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 250° F and put all ingredients in your baking pan (pictured above).
- Mix ingredients together in pan until they are fully incorporated.
- Bake crackers for 15-20 minutes and mix them again. Repeat this step three times, so that the crackers bake for 45-60 minutes total.
Typically, I buy three bags of oyster crackers and double the recipe using two pans in the oven. This recipe is also an easy one for kids to make with if you have helper bees in your home. You can also play around with the amount of seasoning, if you prefer one flavor over another.
For gift giving, I like to put these in metal tins with wax paper or in a plastic bag with a holiday print on it. You can also use holiday tupperware. Just add a ribbon and a handwritten note and you’re done! Here is an example of cellophane bags I have used. I got the metal tins pictured below from my local Michaels for just a few dollars, but I cannot find them online.
I’d love to know if you like to make something similar as a holiday gift as well. Food is always a great gift idea for families and friends, and I have seen this recipe enjoyed by a wide range of ages and different levels of sophisticated palates.
Let me know how you like the recipe if you give it a try.