There’s no question natural oils are one of the latest beauty trends, but are they really worth the hype?!
Half an ounce of Josie Maran’s argan oil wil set you back $16 and Tarte’s maracuja oil is similarly priced. In researching these oils and trying to uncover which one to buy, I discovered another oil that is much cheaper and has many of the same benefits as the oils I just mentioned — drumroll please — almond oil!
You can get 16 oz. of almond oil for $10 (fun math fact: if you got that much of Josie Maran’s argan oil, you’d pay $512. eek!). So if almond oil is cheaper alternative to “top shelf” oils that you can get at Sephora or Ulta, then I figured, “why not give this a try?”
I’ve been using almond oil off and on for the past year, and it really does wonders. Here are my top eight favorite things about almond oil.
- Mmmoisturization! From moisturizing your face to your feet, this stuff does wonders. I find it especially helpful in the winter. It doesn’t feel as thick as lotion and really helps when my cheeks are chapped from a cold winters windburn.
- Diminishes body bumps. I had pesky little bumps (keratosis pilaris) on my upper arms that would never go away, but since using almond oil as a moisturizer they have completely disappeared.
- Makes your skin glow. This oil noticeably evened out my skin tone and reduced redness, making me feel much more confident when I forgo makeup.
- No break outs! Seriously.. need I say more?
- Diminishes dark eye circles. I noticed this after just a few applications.
- Diminishes fine lines. I know there are so many anti-aging products out there, but I swear this helps!
- It’s a makeup remover, safe on eyes/eyelashes. This is an added plus when you travel!
- The price — It shouldn’t cost women an arm and a leg to pamper ourselves and keep our bodies looking and feeling healthy. Am I right??
If you are thinking about trying almond oil, just keep in mind that I’m talking about sweet almond oil, not to be confused with bitter almond oil, which can be toxic (eek!). Also, everyone’s skin is different. Some people find their skin reacts more positively to one natural oil compared to the others. Almond oil also has benefits for hair and nails. I’ve heard it can help with thinning hair and eyelash growth. Just beware — if you give almond oil a try, it could be your new favorite thing!