Working out consistently when life is extra busy can be a challenge. And I’ll be honest, I’m facing that challenge head on right now. Between my job, this blog and wedding planning it often feels like I am juggling three jobs at once. Now, don’t get me wrong–I wouldn’t have it any other way! Some recent weeks have been particularly challenging for getting my workouts in and trying to tone up for our wedding. Wedding planning aside, I know many people who face periods in their life when it feels like every day brings a different schedule and it is difficult to stick to a workout routine, much less achieve fitness goals. While I am by no means perfect at finding time for workouts all the time, I have found a few tricks that make it easier to stay on track with fitness. So, whether you’re in law school studying nonstop, juggling two kids under two or putting in overtime with your new job, here is my guide for finding time for workouts when life’s busy.
Guide to Finding Time for Workouts
- Keep your fitness goals realistic. This tip is all about finding a way to challenge yourself that fits your current lifestyle. For example, I currently make goals for the amount of time (180 minutes) I workout each week. This goal is easier for me to manage an accomplish than if I was focused on the number of workouts per week. I have the flexibility to six 30-minute workouts, two 90 minute workouts or anything in between.
- Schedule it. Every week has its own agenda and important matters. To set expectations for yourself, identify which day(s) are no-go’s for working out and schedule workouts in your calendar at the beginning of each week.
- Share it. Once you have set your fitness schedule, tell someone. Sharing your intention to workout, even if it’s during a casual elevator conversation, will make you much more likely to follow through on your word.
- Make the most of your Time. You can have a two-hour workout with light cardio, that isn’t effective or a 30-minute workout that has you wobbling out the door. The key is quality over quantity for your cardio and reps.
- EXTRA TIP: When it comes to weight training, 10 careful reps in 30 seconds that are focused on proper form are much more efficient than 30 sloppy reps done in 30 seconds. Try doing both, and just see how the feeling in your muscles change. If you are looking for an effective cardio workout, check out my HIIT treadmill workout.
- No execuses. There is no time to wait for the stars to align. The next time you want to delay your workout, as you wait to feel motivated or think, “oh, just one more Netflix episode,” STOP it! Accept that there is no perfect time for your workout, and workouts are not always perfect. But, a complete workout is always better than an incomplete one. I guess Nike was on to something with their slogan – Just do it!
“Success at anything will always come down to this: FOCUS & EFFORT and we control both.” – Dwayne Johnson
Nike Flex Supreme Training Shoes | New Balance for J.Crew Leggings
“You won’t always love the workout, but you will always love the RESULTS!”
UK fashion brand T.M.Lewin, who specializes in men’s dress shirts, has created an infographic of fitness tips and interesting facts to optimize your workout. I think these will be particularly helpful if you have a 9-5 job like me!
Hopefully you are now feeling more motivated and better equipped to stay focused on your fitness goals. I would love to hear more about how finding time for workouts works for you. Do you have new obstacles in your way when it comes to accomplishing your fitness goals? Do you do any of the same things I do to get your workouts in? Let’s discuss in the comments section!
24 thoughts on “Busy Life Guide to Finding Time for Workouts”
Great tips. I think the one you said about being realistic with goals is on point. I live busy but every now and then I have to travel for my blog non stop. When you have issues like this it is a good thing but also you need to be realistic. You cant expect to have a serious workout where you are trying to get shredded while travelling for work or even pleasure!
love these tips! I have been working on my own fitness goals and sticking to it is so important!
Making time to exercise in the midst of a jam-packed life is one of my biggest struggles. Thanks for sharing your tips!
I don’t have a workout routine because I am not allowed to do strenuous exercises due to health issues. I do walk a lot, and I do it twice a day, three times a week. It keeps my weight stable and it makes me feel energized.
This is very timely! I want to be more fit this year in spite the busy schedule. What I do now is to have a 30 minute workout before going to bed.
I always try to find time to workout or atleast walk everyday. I just put on my headphones and walk.
Thank you for sharing, I really needed a post like this one since my motivation for working out is really low lately!
Thanks for sharing this post! I’m not a workout type of a person, but I think that your tips may be useful for me when I start exercisisng. 🙂
Awesome post girl! I’ve been having a lack of motivation for sure lately, I find that going to a regular class I look forward to really helps me stay motivated. And if I sign up ahead of time! Thanks for the inspo! -Chelsea
I honestly go through phases with working out. I’ll be super good for a while and then stop. Since moving to Spain, I walk a lot of places. But I really should do something more physical and maybe even join a gym. These are some great tips!
Scheduling gym time is the only reason/way I actually get around to actually going and do it! If I didn’t I’d probably put it off over and over and end up not going. It takes great self discipline!
It can definitely be difficult to fit in workouts with how busy life can get. I love the idea of telling someone about our fitness goals and keeping us in a sense accountable.
I literally JUST mastered this! Now that I’m in the stretch of things, I feel guilty when I miss.
Excuses are always around. It is time to stop making them when it comes to exercise. I am definitely the one that will make all the excuses in the world.
I already know I need to do better. I am alwys so busy to go to the gym.
great I love myself personally I never have time to do sports I think planning is the key thank you to share
I agree with you that finding time to workout can be challenging. You have offered some excellent tips.I really need to stop making excuses. Thanks!
Great workout tips. I love it!
It is so important that we find time for workouts and to take care of ourselves. These are some really great tips and when you start seeing results it’s always worth it!
This is very timely. I was just thinking haven’t been to the gym in 2 weeks. How does that happen? Life just got busy. Thanks for the tips to get myself back on track!
These are some great tips. I’m glad you mentioned scheduling because this is so important
This is great and some good tips. I need to take these suggestions and stop procrastinating:)
YES! When you start seeing the results it’s all worth while. Some days (nights) my workout is the last thing I do. But, I’m always glad I managed to fit it in.